Monday, September 27, 2010

Torn

So The Escapist as a video competition. The prize: a contract.

That's kind of a big deal, and I was all psyched and everything, but then I was flipping through the rules and saw the maximum video length. Five minutes.

Ouch.

My videos run seven to eight minutes, and I go at a decent clip. So I talked around and settled on Glee for some serious pruning. I figure that it's old enough that there will be things that my more developed critical eye can see. And I cut it down by three hundred words. And then I ran a test-read, and even going at ludicrous speed, it was still too long. So I cut out another two hundred words.

I'm still going to have to go pretty quick, but if I cut it down any further I'm going to lose content instead of just gags. This scares me. I don't want to sacrifice the integrity of my product just to fit it into an arbitrary timeline, but at the same time I really want that contract.


I'm gratified to see that the judging for the contract will be done by the moderators instead of by popular opinion, because I believe that my videos have merit, but I really don't think that they're terribly entertaining.

So I guess we'll see, huh?

Oh, and I know that the entries have to be unique to the contest. I have to remake my Glee video from scratch, though, so it is completely new. It's sort of a... version 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment